Justizpalast Munich is a Baroque Revival style justice house and an administrative building in central Munich.
The palace was built from 1890-1897 according to the plans by Munich-born architect, Friedrich von Thiersch.
He designed the building in Baroque Revival style, to a location, where there previously had been “Clemensschlössl“, a major Bavarian fortress.
The building is centrally located, at Prielmayerstrasse 7, next door to…
- Börse München,
- Karlsplatz (Stachus), and
- some of the best shopping streets in Munich.
PHOTO: Justizpalast and the Neptune fountain in front of the palace, as seen from Alter Botanischen Garten (Old Botanical Gardens). The “New” botanical gardens in Munich are (since 1914) at Nymphenburg “Neue Botanischen Garten”.
PHOTO: The palace’s Baroque Revival facade, with its 67 meter (220 ft) glass dome being topmost on the picture. On the atrium under the dome, you’ll often find temporary exhibitions, mostly related to the current events at the justice house.
PHOTO: Neptune fountain (Neptunusbrunnen), from 1937 by Joseph Wackerle and Oswald Bieber, is located in front of Justizpalast, as part of the Alter Botanischer Garten. Highlights in the fountain include a trident carrying Neptune, ancient Roman god of the sea, with a cloak on his shoulders, as well as a horse figure that has just brought its rider to the water’s surface.
Since the building’s completion, both the Bavarian ministry of justice and Munich’s municipal court have functioned within its premises.
Address: Prielmayerstrasse 7, 80335 Munich, Germany
Official website: www.justiz.bayern.de/gericht/lg/m1/
Despite the building’s massive size, by 1905 it was already considered too small for the law courts’ needs…
…which is why a new, Gothic style Neue Justizpalast, a design by the same architect (Thiersch), was added, adjacent to the old justice palace.
Neue Justizpalast is used today by both the Bavarian constitutional court, as well as by the Munich’s regional supreme court.