Michaelerkirche Vienna, a church dedicated to Archangel Michael, is one of the rare Romanesque style churches in the city (although it has been rebuilt several times over the centuries).
The church is located at an historically important square, Michaelerplatz, surrounded by Hofburg palace, as well as Loos haus (in a much more recent architecture style, from 1911).
Michaelerkirche was, traditionally, a royal parish church for the ruling dynasty in Austria, the Habsburgs (as they lived in the Hofburg).
PHOTO: Michaelerkirche, dominated by its Gothic style narrow tower.
In addition to the Gothic tower, the building features a magnificent Baroque entrance by Antonio Beduzzi. The rest of the church was designed by Ferdinand von Hohenberg, from 1792.
Theme that goes through the church is “Fallen Angel“, and includes:
- Lorenzo Mattielli’s sculptures at the entrance,
- Michelangelo Unterberger’s colossal painting, and
- a stucco artwork by Karl Georg Merville (at the eastern end of the main choir section).
Religious art treasures in the church also include…
- a 13th century fresco (the remains of it), portraying saints, and
- Tobias Pock masterpiece “14 Helpers-in-Need“, located at the Saint Johan Nepomuk altar.
Michaelerkirche – Vienna
Address: Habsburgergasse 12, 1010 Vienna, Austria
Official website: Michaelerkirche.at
Those buried within the crypt include Pietro Metastasio (1698-1782), famous for his libretto “Libretto Il sogno di Scipione“, part of Mozart’s “Magic Flute” opera.