Frauenkirche Munich is a Roman-Catholic cathedral in central Munich, and it is also one of the most famous landmarks of the city.
The cathedral’s official name is “Dom zu unserer lieben Frau” (“Cathedral of Our Dear Lady”), and it was built from the commission by Duke Sigismund from 1468-1494…
….although its main highlight, the church towers, were completed much later, in 1525.
There has been religious building at this location since 1240s, since Wittelsbach ruling dynasty built a church near to their administrative palace, with a design inspired by the Franziskanerkirche in Salzburg.
PHOTO: Frauenkirche’s towers stand out against the city silhouette, partly because the city center planning regulations prohibit any new constructs over 100 meters.
PHOTO: Frauenkirche’s 98.45 meter (323 ft) tall southern tower has the building’s popular observation platform, with panoramic views all the way up to Alps.
The three nave, Gothic-style Frauenkirche has a length of 109 meters (344 ft), width of 40 meters (131 ft), and height at 37 meters (121 ft, excluding the height of the towers).
The church, which was build during the same period as the Munich Alte Rathaus, has space for 20,000 visitors…when there were only 13,000 inhabitants in the city when the church was completed.
The church towers and domes were inspired by many sources, especially, however, by the late Byzantine architecture Dome of the Rock, in Jerusalem.
Unlike most Gothic style churches, the cathedral iconography is very plain, with only two major themes at the church:
- Virgin Mary, and
- Christ the Savior.
Address: Frauenplatz 1, 80331 Munich, Germany
Official website: Muenchner-Dom.de
Unlike comparable Gothic cathedrals, such as the one in Cologne, Frauenkirche has very brightly colored interiors.
Another highlight worth noting, next to the church entrance, is its cenotaph from 1622, dedicated to the Bavarian Emperor Ludwig IV…featuring figures of Duke Albert V (in reign 1550-79) and Duke Wilhelm IV (1508-50).