Marstall is a historical royal riding school and horse stalls that belonged to the Residenz palace. Today, it houses the Residenz Theater.
The neoclassical building, a design by Leo von Klenze, was constructed under supervision from von Kesling, the court stall master, from 1817-1822…
…and today, it is considered one of the best early works by Klenze.
After the building was completed, a significant number of people worked at the riding school and stalls.
When the monarchy ended in Bavaria, in 1918, there was no longer need for such stalls.
At that time, the number of royal horse carriages was counted as around 300, but many of these carriages were no longer fit to be used.
PHOTO: View to the main buildings, a design by Leo von Klenze in a neoclassical style, and located opposite the Residenz palace church. Building highlights include its (pictured) eight bronze bas-reliefs, portraying horse heads, a reference to the building’s historical usage.
PHOTO: Main entrance (on the Residenz side) to the building.
PHOTO: On top of the Residenz side main entrance, there are busts of (ancient Greek) twin gods, Castor and Pollux. The bas-relief, meanwhile, is “Kampf der Zentauren und Lapithen” or “Battle of the Centaurs and the Lapiths” in English, by Johann Martin von Wagner.
Address: Marstallstrasse 4, 80539 Munich, Germany
Official website: www.residenztheater.de
Marstall, on the other hand, is used today as an event venue and a concert hall, especially for experimental theater performances by the Residenz Theater.