A brief outlook of Venice festivals and events throughout the year, including the annual Carnivale, International Film Festival, and Festa della Madonna della Salute.
As a tourist destination, Venice is famous for the many events of importance that take place here, the most famous of which are the Carnival, Venice Biennale, and Vogalonga rowing event.
Of these, the carnival takes place from late February / early March, when the Venetian streets are invaded by traditional costumes and dancing, but due to the masses of tourists that come to witness the spectacle, the carnival has lost much of its original authenticity.
Contemporary art lovers, meanwhile, appreciate the Venice Biennale, which takes place on odd years (during the fall), wile on even years you can go to the Venice Architecture Biennale.
Every April 25th, Venice celebrates the patron saint of the city with a special event: Festa di San Marco.
As summer arrives, the third Saturday and Sunday of July are reserved for the Festa del Redentore, which celebrates the end of the plague epidemic of 1576.
If you are a sports enthusiast, you can participate in the Su e zo per i ponti race in March / April, with track that goes through the city, or in the Venice Marathon, from Stra to Venice, in October.
In the same theme, traditional regattas and rowing and sailing races are numerous in the maritime Venice, the most famous of which is the Vogalonga.
PHOTO: Venice festivals: Vogalonga boats in the Grand Canal.
Vogalonga race goes from Piazza San Marco to Burano during the Sensa Festival in May. Other events include Regatta delle Befane and Regatta Storiche, the latter of which is raced with gondolas on the 1st Sunday of September.
Venice Carnival, however, is probably the most famous of the Venetian events, and one of the most celebrated festivities in the world. Its start date is traditionally 10 days before Ash Wednesday, and contains events throughout Veneto region, with masked, beautifully disguised people especially lining the narrow Venetian streets.
A shortlist of festivals in Venice:
- Market of Miracles (Il Mercatino dei Miracoli): a non-professional flea market organized several times a year in Venice. This antique market is held at the Campo Santa Maria Nova.
- Su e Zo per the i Ponti: a non-competitive race held annually in the heart of Venice in March and April. The start of the race is from St. Mark’s square, in front of the Doge’s Palace.
- Le Capodanno Love: an annual event that takes place on the night of New Year’s Eve in Piazza San Marco in Venice, with thousands of people gathering together to welcome the new year.
- Christmas market in Venice: from late November to Christmas eve.
- Venice Biennale of Theatre: in August.
- Festa del Redentore Venice: in July.
- Festa del Bocolo Venice: in Late April.
- Venicemarathon Venice: in September.
- Festa della Madonna della Salute Venice: in October.